Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cucumber Salad

I am not sure where this recipe came from, but I have made it with my mom for as long as I can remember.  I like mine on the more sour side, so if you like it less sour, don't add as much vinegar.

1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 -1 tbs dill
1 Cucumber (I prefer the English kind, but the regular ones are cheaper and work just as well)
1/2 Vidalia Onion
Salt & Pepper to taste

1) In a small bowl mix yogurt, vinegar, and dill.  Add a small amount of salt and pepper and taste.  Add more salt and pepper if needed.  Also, if the dressing is too sour, add a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt.  If you would like it more sour, add a splash of vinegar. 
2) Cut the cumber in half.  Use a spoon to scrape the seeds out.  Slice the cucumber thinly.
3) Slice the onion and cut each slice in half, separating the rings. 
4) Add the cucumbers and onion to the dressing. Stir until coated.

Tips
-Make the dressing the way you like it.  The yogurt to vinegar ratio is pretty forgiving.  Just keep on adjusting until you get it to your liking. This is one recipe that I usually just look at how much yogurt I have left, and I keep on adding vinegar until I get the flavor that I want.  
-I like to let the salad sit in the fridge awhile before serving.  The cucumbers and onions absorb the flavors in the dressing this way.
-The onion can be skipped if someone does not like them, however the vinegar tends to take the bite out of the onions and Vidalias are pretty sweet to begin with.

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this recipe. Everyone should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe...saw you post on blog frog & just started following you. Seems like you'll have a lot of yummy ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm following you from Blog Frog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. saw on blog frog.. looking forward to some recipes!!! Love the salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for a blog! Very nice! Following you now from Blog Frog!!! ~Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey! I found you on Blog Frog and wanted to support you :) Wonderful blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone for following! I'm really looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete