Saturday, August 28, 2010

Greek Yogurt!

I discovered Greek yogurt when I studied abroad in Greece.  At first it was strange eating plain yogurt--not something most people do stateside.  I quickly learned that it is wonderful with just a little bit of honey and granola.  

Now Greek yogurt is a staple in my diet.  I do not just eat it for breakfast though.  In fact, I have replaced mayonaise and sour cream with Greek yogurt.  While low fat sour cream may not seem like a big deal, when you replace it with non-fat Greek yogurt you also get more protein, calcium, potassium and those lovely probiotics.  What are your favorite healthy replacements?



Below is a recipe for making "mayo" out of Greek yogurt.  It is not my own creation, but Rocco Dispirito's in Now Eat This. 

6 tbs white vinegar
4 tbs cornstarch
1 17.6 oz container of Greek yogurt (you can use 16 oz, I do)
3 tbs Dijon mustard
4 packets Truvia (not a fan of articificial sweetners, but this is natural)
1 tsp salt

1) In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and cornstarch together.  Add 2/3 of the yogurt.
2) In a saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly.  The yogurt will get very thick, and when it does, scrape it into a food processor (or a blender).
3) Blend the mixture for about 1 minute, turn off the food processor, and scrape the yogurt off the sides.  Blend about 3 more minutes. 
4) Add the remaining yogurt, the mustard, the truvia and the salt.  Blend about 1 more minute.
5) Pour contents into an airtight container and let it set in the fridge for about 2 hours until is cold and firm.  It will last about a week.

I use this as a dressing in pasta salads or a sandwich.  If you want to mix things up for a dressing, you can add spice blends to liven things up. 

1 comment:

  1. Fuond your blog on TheBlogFrog and wanted to stop by.

    I love Greek yogurt! It's easy to mix things into it to add more flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete