Friday, June 24, 2011

Cauliflower Steaks with Caper Vinaigrette

If you are wondering what cauliflower steaks are--they are big, thick slices of cauliflower.  My cousin makes them and covers them in an olive tapenade.  They are great, and I wanted to do something similar, but I wanted to try something with a lighter flavor.  I also admit I was avoiding a trip to the grocery store. I found a vinaigrette from Food & Wine that a chef tossed cauliflower florets in, and spread it on the cauliflower steaks. They were delicious--one will make a great side and two with a couple sides make a fantastic meal.  I enjoyed them with a leafy green salad and tomato soup.



Ingredients
1 head of cauliflower, cored and sliced in pieces about 3/4 inch thick (the pieces towards the ends are more likely to fall apart than the center pieces)
1 shallot minced
2 tbs of capers, chopped (capers can be hard to shop, I used my herb mincer, but a pizza cutter might work well too)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup EVOO
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
salt & pepper
+2 Tbs of EVOO

1) Preheat the oven to 375.  Heat a large skillet and add 2 Tbs of EVOO.  Brown each side of the cauliflower slice.  Each side should take 2-3 minutes.  You will probably have to do them in batches.  Add more EVOO as necessary.
2)  Mix the caper vinaigrette.  Add red wine vinegar, the capers, the shallots, the garlic and the 1/4 cup of EVOO. 
3)  When the cauliflower is all browned, lay the pieces flat on a baking sheet.  Spread the caper vinaigrette on each cauliflower piece until the pieces are covered.  Bake for 25 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment