Sunday, July 31, 2011

Corn Salad with Cucumbers and Red Peppers

I'm back! I did not do a lot of cooking over these last couple of weeks because I have been busy studying. Hopefully the bar exam is behind me for good! Anyways, I really missed cooking and while I am thankful for Trader Joe's I am glad to be back in the kitchen.  My first creation was a salad I found on Food52.  The corn was supposed to be uncooked, I skipped buttermilk and just used milk with a splash of lemon, I added the dressing to the salad before rather than as you are serving it and I skipped the feta cheese because not everything in life needs cheese.  This salad really tastes like summer and is perfect for serving at a barbecue.  I also made Auntie Helen's pasta salad. Yum!



Ingredients
3 ears of sweet corn, cooked and cut off the cob*
1 red pepper diced
1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
1 large or 2 small shallots, cut into slices
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped

Dressing
1/4 cup milk, with 1/2 tsp of lemon or white wine vinegar
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 Tbs of white wine vinegar
3 Tbs of minced Vidalia onion
1 clove of garlic, mashed
1/4 cup EVOO
salt & pepper to taste

1) Take the shallots that are sliced lengthwise, placed them in a small dish and salt them.  Let them sit for about 20 minutes in the salt.  This will take the bite out of the shallots.

2) Meanwhile--mix the dressing.  Let the milk stand with the white wine vinegar or lemon for about 5 minutes.  This will give the milk a tart flavor, so it can be used as a replacement for buttermilk. 

3) In a small bowl, add the yogurt, the white wine vinegar then the milk.  Add the garlic and the onion and then with one hand stir and drizzle in the EVOO.  Whisk well until the dressing is well blended. 

4)  In a large bowl, add the veggies including the shallots that have been sitting in salt and the fresh dill.  Mix them well and then drizzle the dressing over until it is coated to your liking.  You will probably have leftover dressing.

*To properly cook sweet corn, fill a large pot with cold water and then add your husked corn to the pot. Salt the water and bring to a boil.  Once the corn is at a rolling boil, take it off the heat and let it sit in the water until you are ready to take the kernels off the cob (sooner rather than later preferably).  Make sure to run the corn under cool water before attempting to take the kernels off the cob.



No comments:

Post a Comment