Sunday, October 24, 2010

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cheddar and Jalapeno

I can't help but love twice baked potatoes.  The unity of cheese, sour cream and bacon and potato is delicious, however not very good for you.  I started searching the internet for a healthy take on twice baked potatoes, and this is what I came up with.  I found a variety of recipes using sweet potatoes.  Most of them missed the mark health-wise, but I got some ideas and guidance from Rachael Ray's recipe and also one from the Skinny Chef.

3 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup diced jalapenos
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
3/4 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional if you want a little more spice)
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbs unsalted butter

1)  Poke several holes with a fork in the skin of the potato and then bake the sweet potatoes for about 60-90 minutes at 325 degrees. 
2)  Remove potatoes from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.  Cut the potatoes in half.  They will be hot, so be careful. 
3)  Scoop the potato out of the skins and discard in a small bowl.  I like to keep a towel or a cover on the bowl so the potato stays warm. 
4)  Once you have scooped out all of the potato, add the jalapeno, yogurt, cheese and butter into the bowl and stir until mixed well. I would use a potato masher or large fork.  Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.  Add the dash of cayenne pepper if you choose, mix well and then taste.  Add a little more if you like a little more spice, but be careful when adding cayenne pepper only adding a small amount at a time and then tasting. 

5) Scoop the potato back into the skin.  The potatoes can sit overnight in the fridge, and before you serve them, put them in an oven at about 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  





I am pleased with the way these turned out and will definitely do them again!  Next time, I think I might just skip the butter and add more Greek yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment