Friday, October 29, 2010

Two Crock Pot Recipes to Warm You Up!

Since the weather in Minnesota seems to be shifting to the cold side once again, I figure it is time to make use of my crock pot.  I love adding ingredients to the crock pot, leaving and coming home several hours later to a warm meal.  Most crock pot dishes also either freeze well or keep in the fridge for awhile.  During the last two weeks, I have made Greek Chicken and Crock Pot Smother Pepper Steak.

I had this Greek Chicken recipe at a friend's house a LONG time ago.  I believe it originally came from a Weight Watcher's cookbook.  I don't remember the recipe, but I did a little guess-work and it turned out great!

(3) boneless skinless chicken breasts
(8) oz frozen spinach
(1) 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with oregano, garlic and basil (add another can if you like a lot of broth)
(1) cup reduced sodium chicken broth
(1/2) cup white wine (I used sauvignon blanc)
(1) can or (1) package of frozen artichokes
(1) diced yellow onion
(8) oz kalamata olives (optional, i skipped them)
cous-cous, orzo, or brown rice to serve it over (I used whole wheat cous-cous)
salt & pepper to taste

Now for the easy part--just empty the ingredients into the crock pot,  minus the salt & pepper.  Turn the crock pot to low and leave for 6 hours.  If you don't have six hours, start the crock pot on high for an hour and a half and then turn to low for two and half to three hours.  Before it is done, taste and add salt and pepper as needed.





Now for recipe #2.  I found this recipe connecting with another blogger.  I agreed to review a few recipes for the cookbook she is publishing.  This was the first one that I tried.  You can make it for under $10 and it goes a long ways!  I followed the recipe, however I added water chestnuts which were a great addition.  I am a little weary of canned vegetables, so next time I think I would use frozen green beans.  I served it with brown rice.  Check out the recipe here.  Pictures below!




No comments:

Post a Comment