Normally, I am not a Rose Bowl watcher. I do not really have a reason to, since the Minnesota Gophers struggle to get in even a minor bowl game. However-this year my friend Leanne got to cheer for her Alma Mater, the Wisconsin Badgers. This event called for celebrating the New Year with a special request of Leanne's--Mahi Mahi tacos. I have never made them, and truthfully was a little weary, but they were a success and healthy too! I used the fish tacos recipe from Epicurious.
1/2 red onion
1 1/2 cups of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup of EVOO
1 1/2 tsp of chili powder
1 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp of cumin
1 jalepeno seeded and diced
1 lb of any white fish cut into four pieces
8 medium sized tortillas
grated cheese (I used pepper jack)
pico de gallo
1) Cut up half the red onion into rings and marinate them for at least 30 minutes in the red wine vinegar. This will take the bite out of the onions.
2) Combine the EVOO, chili powder, oregano, cumin and jalapeno and spread over the fish. Let it marinate for about 30 minutes.
3) Heat a non-stick pan under medium to high heat. Once hot, add the fish and the marinade. As the fish is cooking, use a fork to flake it. Once cooked (about 4-6 minutes, remove from heat).
4) Heat the tortillas by wrapping them in a wet paper towel and putting them in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
5) Fill the tortillas with the fish, onions, pico, sour cream, cheese and lettuce. Enjoy!