Saturday, March 26, 2011

Just a Vegetable Curry

First off--I am not claiming this is an authentic Indian curry. It is based off of this Jamie Oliver recipe and I had to make some changes because things I needed were not available at the grocery store. Anyways--regardless of authenticity, this dish was delicious and I will definitely make it again. I am trying to come up with an arsenal of delicious vegetarian recipes so I turn to vegetarian dishes more often. This was ridiculously easy, very healthy and pretty inexpensive to make. Two thumbs up!
 
Ingredients
1 medium onion cut into chunks
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 "thumb" of ginger grated
1 tbs of butter
3 tbs of EVOO
2 red peppers cut into chunks
1 can of chickenpeas, drained
1/2 butternut squash cut into cubes, peeled (I used the already cut-up 8 oz bag of it)
1/2 jar of Patek's mild curry paste
1 head of cauliflower, stemmed and cut into florets
3 tomatoes, quartered
2 cans of diced tomatoes
 
1) Heat oil and butter in a large pot (if you do not have a large stockpot, half the recipe) and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are golden and translucent.
2) Add the red peppers, the chickpeas, and the squash. Coat all of the veggies with the curry paste and simmer for a few minutes.
3) Add the fresh and canned tomatoes and then the cauliflower. Simmer covered for 45 minutes. Check the curry at about 30 minutes and if it is still thin, let it simmer for the final 15 minutes without a cover.
4) Serve over brown rice. 
 
 
 
*I skipped 1 bunch of coriander (trimmed) and 1 red chili (diced), which should go in with the onions, garlic and ginger. The recipe also called for Jalfrezi curry paste which I could not find.

No comments:

Post a Comment