Monday, April 11, 2011

You Don't Win Friends With Salad?

However, I beg to differ. This salad is light, crisp and refreshing and tastes great without adding all of the ingredients that defeat the purpose of eating salad. It was also pretty simple to quickly put together.



Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of fresh spinach
1/4 cup of chopped fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup chopped red/green/yellow peppers
1/8 cup chopped jalapenos (I used them from a jar because it is what I had on hand)
2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
3 tbs salsa verde/avocado mixture (from Trader Joe's)
(I added a tablespoon of cheese, but I would just pass on it next time)

One thing I have learned--salad dressing does not always have to be the oily stuff out of a bottle. You can use salsa, Greek Yogurt with a little seasoning, cottage cheese, or corn relish. It is a great way to make your salad a bit more healthy and often does not involve sacrificing flavor.  Also, if you load your salad with veggies, you are not going to miss the croutons, cheese, and other things that mitigate the health benefits of a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment