Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another Reason I Love Costco

A may not have blogged about it--but I am a huge fan of Costco and their products. I could go on and on...

On Tuesday, I found another reason to love Costco. We had two attorneys speak in my Food Law class about food borne illness litigation. Food borne illnesses are enough to make me quit eating all together, so I was a bit nervous for this lecture. Just to give you an idea how crazy I am--at age 10 I quit eating ground beef for about two years because I saw a 20/20 special called "Nightmare on Hamburgers."  I still am not overly thrilled about eating ground beef and I avoid it for the most part.

Anyways--back to Costco. Most of us remember the peanut butter contamination case when the peanut butter manufacturer was putting contaminated peanut products out on the market and several people died. Part of the problem there was the plant was unsanitary and not up to code. Apparently many of the groups that audit the plants are anything but independent and unbiased. One of my classmates asked why companies who distribute the products do not inspect the plants themselves. One of the attorneys explained that it would be a daunting task to do this considering how long ingredient lists are. However she added that Costco does inspect the suppliers for it's Kirkland brand products. It makes me rest a little bit easier knowing that there is one more check to ensure that the products are safe for consumption. Yay Costco!

No comments:

Post a Comment