Friday, June 10, 2011

Stocking Your Pantry

This post is dedicated to my friend Gretchen who just moved into a new apartment. I know I have mentioned the importance of having a stocked pantry. For starters, when you get home from a long day at work, school or whatever--it is nice to have ingredients to make a basic meal.  Second, it saves you money.  If you are like me, you go to the grocery store for one thing and come out with five extra things.  It will also save you time if you do not have to make extra grocery runs.  Now you understand the importance--but what is a stocked pantry?

 (yes, my pantry is disorganized and very full. I will have lots of food to survive on in case of a zombie attack)

Here are some of my suggestions--including some basics for your fridge:

Pantry
chicken broth (I also keep bouillon cubes on hand, just in case)
beef broth
baking power and soda
flour
sugar
brown sugar
vanilla extract
bread crumbs (panko for me)
olive oil
pasta (usually spaghetti or linquine and shells or penne)
rice: brown, aborio
soy sauce
canned tomatoes
beans
canned tuna
vinegars: white, red wine, white wine, balsamic
ketchup
mustard: dijon and yellow
worcestershire sauce
pesto
peanut Butter
jam/jelly
taco seasoning
stir fry seasoning
spaghetti sauce
pizza dough mix
canned soup: tomato, chicken noodle, beef barley
potatoes: russet and sweet
onions: white and red
cereal
oatmeal
chocolate chips

Spices (basic)
salt: kosher and iodized
pepper
Italian seasoning
Greek seasoning
basil
oregano
sage
thyme
rosemary
bay leaves
cumin
chili powder
cayenne pepper

Fridge
milk
eggs
cheese (I buy the bricks because they can be shredded or sliced and usually have cheddar and mozzarella)
mayonaise
butter
lemon juice
lime juice
sliced lunch meat

No comments:

Post a Comment