Friday, August 19, 2011

Farmer's Market Salad with Herbed Goat Cheese

I made this fresh and delicious salad for a lunch date with a friend.  I just finished what was hopefully my very last test before getting my license to practice law and it was a cause for celebration.  It was a beautiful day and lunch was enjoyed on a sunny deck and the salad accompanied with a delicious sparkling wine--a Cava, in honor of my friend who had just returned from Spain.  I call the salad Farmer's Market Salad because the potatoes, green beans, and cucumbers are all from the Minneapolis farmer's market.  While I list tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, red pepper and cucumber in the ingredients, you should feel free to choose whatever veggies you like.



Ingredients
3 cups of Spring Mix (or whatever greens you choose)
4 oz. of grape tomatoes quartered
1/4 cup of boiled fingerling potatoes (I used the leftovers from this recipe)
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 red pepper cut in large chunks
1/2 lb. of steamed green beans (steam for 3-5 minutes)
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1 Tbs. of fresh thyme

Dressing
2 Tbs. of balsamic vinegar
5 Tbs. of EVOO
1/2 tsp of dijon mustard
1 tsp. of fresh chopped thyme

The directions are pretty simple for this recipe. If you serve the salad as a meal, it will serve about two. If you serve it as a dinner salad, it will serve about 4-6.  Divide the ingredients among the plates.  The goat cheese crumbles should be shaken with the chopped thyme.  For the dressing, in a small bowl I would add the vinegar first, followed by the thyme and mustard--then drizzle the EVOO in, stirring vigorously.  I would let your guests dress their salad to their liking. 




No comments:

Post a Comment