Sunday, August 28, 2011

Healthy Tip: Add Quinoa to Your Salad

Lately I have been eating a lot of salad.  I usually have one with dinner or lunch and sometimes both.  My salads are simple--containing whatever veggies I have on hand and dressing. While salad is healthy and a great way to get your veggies, it is not very filling.  If it is filling, it is probably full of cheese and other things that defeat the purpose of eating salad.  In comes quinoa.  The other night I had some leftover and decided to add it to my salad.  Quinoa is a great source of protein and fiber, two things that make you feel full and satiated.  Quinoa has a grainy flavor, but it is by no means overwhelming, but fairly subtle.  The texture is a bit like cous cous.  I really liked it in my salad and will be adding it in the future.  The salad below contains spring mix, quinoa, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers and a bit of Greek style feta dressing from Trader Joe's.



No comments:

Post a Comment